Skip to main content

Some pictures of what I got

I found the radio fully working in a flea market for 2€. :)
The WeMos D1 mini costs 3€, the VS1053 8€ (but there are cheaper models).

From the original radio, I'll keep the two speakers. Although they're not the best ones you could dream of, they'll do the job for the moment. I may be able to re-use the buttons and rotary knobs (they work as spammers-buttons : each time you rotate a little, it's like a button is pushed). I'll get rid of the cramped screen, as I have a nice LCD 20x4 I2C screen waiting in a box.
But this pleather is so nice, and the size is just perfect ! Plus, there's quite some room inside.

Here's some pictures. I wasn't lying : it's really a kitchen table. I mean, in which other table would you put a tablecloth full of little cakes ? :D



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flashing an STM32 "Blue Pill"

Flashing this STM32 "Blue Pill" board took me 5 hours.

I finally recieved my microcontrollers. I have at disposal :
A brand new WeMos D1 Mini (it's a smallish NodeMCU)An Arduino Pro Mini (it acts just like a Leonardo, but it lacks some interesting pins sadly :(  )An STM32F103C8T6, I'll call this the Blue Pill for short. The Arduino Pro Mini has an Arduino bootloader out-of-the-box, so  I could play with it directly. It's nice ! Still, it lacks the double Serial of the original Leonardo, and most importantly, there's no A4 and A5 pins, so libraries for I2C won't work without modification.

But the Blue Pill needs more work. Basically, I followed the instructions on this site : http://wiki.stm32duino.com/index.php?title=Installation
Since it's quite complicated, consider the following as a tutorial to set up your Blue Pill. I tried different things, the following has worked for me.

Before doing anything software-related, while reading the Blue Pill page …

KaRadio DVT-01

I packed everything in my little case.

It's really a mess in there, with cables flying around and every card floating, not fixed on the inside. But it looks quite cool ! I removed the old radio antenna to use its hole to pass my USB cable.

Here's how it looks !






As you can see, I let the rotary knob (it's a simple angular potentiometer, in fact) from the amplifier out. It holds with a little nut that was provided with it. The buttons you can see are all fakes, they belonged to the old radio and I forgot to remove them (in fact they're simply glued to the back). 
Maybe I'll find some tools to make a nice-looking front panel when my stuff arrives. I'll ask people around me to lend me their tools...  In the end, the radio would have a 20x4 LCD screen to display artist + title and useful infos (like the IP or the volume when you change it from the website, maybe). I think I'll need two more buttons to change the station. I won't bother myself to add a volume…

Adding some speakers, part 2

I added the audio transistors.

Before diving into this modification, I wanted to see how deteriorated the sound is when you try to link everything on the same power supply WITHOUT transistors. So I made this little video. You can hear the difference !



First, I noticed that my three little wires (on the output of the VS1053) were badly soldered and caused a short-circuit somewhere. So I removed them, and replaced them with a naked Jack plug. (I took it from a selfie stick. True story. These selfie sticks have an audio Jack plug to be able to take a shot from a button near the hand, that acts just like a button from headphones with mic. End of the story, back to business :p )

I wired the output of the VS1053 to the input of the transformers, and I wired the output of the transformers to the input of the PAM8403 (the amplifier). Since on the input and on the output, they have common ground between the two channels, I kept the common ground. You can see a rough scheme below (the "Aud…