Skip to main content

Casing : the front

The student makerspace opened at my University. I wanted to try it out !

For the case, I found some wooden tissue box that would fit my needs. Actually it's a bit big, but better safe than sorry. The thing is, the cut in the middle is super handy to start cutting with a jigsaw.

So I started working my little front panel for my alarm clock. First, I made a model on Solidworks, just to see what it would look like.

Modelling helps having clear ideas !
For the front panel, there is four cuts, made from the middle cut that was originally present on the box (to let the tissues go out).
  • 2 circular holes for the speakers,
  • 1 big rectangular hole for the LCD screen,
  • 1 smaller rectandular hole for the clock.
Sadly, my 7-segments display never came, I guess it got lost, so I'll have to deal with the seller to try to have them send it again. :(

For the moment, I didn't do any cuts for the buttons, but they will surely be on the top side of the box. This is because, when you want to press a button, you don't want the hold the box to press it. If you put it on top, you will be able to push it normally, simply because the box is put on the opposite side.

So I entered so tiny but nice workshop...

Tools !
I have simple dreams that are easily fulfilled



So, it's small, but there's common tooling, which is nice.

In order to cut the rectangular holes, I first drilled little holes with a drill in the corners, so that I can put the blade of the jigsaw and cut straight. This results in dirty big holes in the corner, but I couldn't figure out how to do otherwise... so I guess I'll live with it !

I did my best to cut circles with a heavy jigsaw if my piece of agglomerate wood... Could have been worse !!!

Looking good !


Then, I put the speakers in the dedicated holes, and I tried to put the screen with clothing pins, just to see how it would look like... and it's rather nice ! I will be able to screw the screen, there's little holes in it, and I have some screws for wood that can definitely do the job.

But what's really nice is the sound ! Definitely, wood is the best !



For next time, I definitely need to figure out how the UI should look like, to define what kind of buttons I need. I already did some coding to rewrite my screen functions, they're much better, as you may see. And I need to implement some flash storage of a few variables, namely the alarm time ! I want it to be preserved between reboots, of course. (For the current time, I don't care, I get it with the Karadio thanks to NTP.)

Next time, I'll probably show more about code !
See you !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flashing an STM32 "Blue Pill"

Flashing this STM32 "Blue Pill" board took me 5 hours.

I finally recieved my microcontrollers. I have at disposal :
A brand new WeMos D1 Mini (it's a smallish NodeMCU)An Arduino Pro Mini (it acts just like a Leonardo, but it lacks some interesting pins sadly :(  )An STM32F103C8T6, I'll call this the Blue Pill for short. The Arduino Pro Mini has an Arduino bootloader out-of-the-box, so  I could play with it directly. It's nice ! Still, it lacks the double Serial of the original Leonardo, and most importantly, there's no A4 and A5 pins, so libraries for I2C won't work without modification.

But the Blue Pill needs more work. Basically, I followed the instructions on this site : http://wiki.stm32duino.com/index.php?title=Installation
Since it's quite complicated, consider the following as a tutorial to set up your Blue Pill. I tried different things, the following has worked for me.

Before doing anything software-related, while reading the Blue Pill page …

Adding some speakers, part 1

I've got speakers, an amplifier, audio transformers, and a KaRadio.
Let's have fun with that !

So in order to connect everything, I took the plugs from the original radio and soldered them along with headers, to connect things easily.



Then I soldered headers on the amp side, easy connection. And I wired them together. I also soldered a USB cable on the power input of the amp board.

On the VS1053 side, I have a Arduino-shaped board, so I took advantage of some unused pins to wire the output speakers to 3 pins. Again, the easier, the better... Except that soldering these 3 little cables was FRIGGING HARD, they kept swinging and moving around, it was hellish. But oh well, it's done now.



Finally, I took 3 wires to link the VS1053 to the amp (it's a PAM8403). The pair ESP8266 + VS1053 has its own power supply (it's a USB battery) while the amplifier has a separate USB power supply.



Aaaaaaand it works very well :)

I tried to put the whole on the same power supply and I g…

Adding some speakers, part 2

I added the audio transistors.

Before diving into this modification, I wanted to see how deteriorated the sound is when you try to link everything on the same power supply WITHOUT transistors. So I made this little video. You can hear the difference !



First, I noticed that my three little wires (on the output of the VS1053) were badly soldered and caused a short-circuit somewhere. So I removed them, and replaced them with a naked Jack plug. (I took it from a selfie stick. True story. These selfie sticks have an audio Jack plug to be able to take a shot from a button near the hand, that acts just like a button from headphones with mic. End of the story, back to business :p )

I wired the output of the VS1053 to the input of the transformers, and I wired the output of the transformers to the input of the PAM8403 (the amplifier). Since on the input and on the output, they have common ground between the two channels, I kept the common ground. You can see a rough scheme below (the "Aud…